Bonterra Partners acts as your extended investment arm specializing in investments that create long-term financial and ecological benefits.
We provide investment strategy and analysis of natural capital opportunities in farmland, soil, fishery, food production, forestry, water and biodiversity. Long-term (10+ years) investments in sustainable agriculture and regenerative businesses are our core focus. Our work spans multiple continents, with South America as a key region of activity. We are based in San Francisco and work globally.
Bonterra Partners benefits from being a small, flexible company that moves quickly. Our consulting services support every stage of the investment process, from portfolio allocation, idea generation, investment research to shareholder recommendation crafting and investment monitoring. Our private equity experience across multiple sectors brings expertise in investment strategy, financial analysis, due diligence, and transaction negotiation.
Managing Partner & Founder
Bonterra Partners is shepherded by Renee Cheung. Renee began her consultancy in 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She has worked and traveled extensively in South America, making South America the primary focus of Bonterra's work. Prior to founding Bonterra, Renee served as Private Equity Executive at RIT Capital Partners plc in London, a £2 billion publicly-listed investment trust in the United Kingdom chaired by Lord (Jacob) Rothschild. During her tenure at RIT, she invested in early and growth-stage companies in multiple sectors and held board seats. Previously, she worked at Pantheon Ventures in London and San Francisco, helping complete one of the firm's largest secondaries transactions at that time. Her passion for sustainable agriculture has extended to hands-on farm work in Sweden, and she is not-so-secretly hoping for further opportunities to practice farming in the future.
Renee has a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Master of Science in Management Science & Engineering from Stanford University. She is fluent in Chinese, highly proficient in Spanish and speaks basic Japanese.
Read about her Swedish farming experience in her blog, Dancing with the Moo.
- "Grass-fed beef brings premium price, at higher cost", AgAlert, August 2017
- "Online startup Crowd Cow wants to disrupt the meat market. The stakes have never been higher.", Grist, August 2017
- "Report: US Grass-Fed Beef Market Doubling Every Year, But Scaling Challenges Remain", AgFunder News, May 2017
- "Back to Grass: The Market Potential for U.S. Grassfed Beef", April 2017
Co-author with SLM Partners, in collaboration with Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture and Armonia LLC
- "Ask the Expert: Renee Cheung on Land Degradation and What Can Be Done About It", Quarterra, August 2016
- "Five Reasons to Invest in Land Degradation Neutrality", AgFunder News, August 2016
- "Unlocking the market for land degradation neutrality", June 2016
In collaboration with co-author Mirova and UNCCD (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification)
- "Buying the Farm", Orion Magazine interview, July 2015
- "On the ground: end of year reviews", Agri Investor, January 2 2015
- "Investing in conservation: a landscape assessment of an emerging market", November 2014
Co-author on behalf of NatureVest and Encourage Capital
- "Regenerative agriculture: the investor perspective", Agri Investor, October 9 2014
- Dancing with the Moo, blog on Renee Cheung's farming experience in Sweden, 2013
- Guest speaker on "Investing in Regenerative Agriculture" podcast, October 2017
- Presenter: Back to Grass: The Market Potential for U.S. Grassfed Beef webinar, Concordia Campaign for a Sustainable Global Food Supply, April 2017 (Audio recording and presentation available here.)
- Panelist: The Land Degradation Neutrality Fund, Global Landscapes Forum: The Investment Case, June 2016
- Guest speaker: San Francisco Bay Area Chinese Radio program AM1450. Program topics (recording in Cantonese available upon request):
- Farmland investments in Latin America, January 2015
- Modern food production & the American diet, January 2015
- Impact of the California drought, November 2015
- Panel moderator: Deconstructing manager thinking - buy & lease or own & operate, Agri Investor Forum 2015, October 2015
- Panel moderator: Opportunities and risks of investing in Latin America, Agri Investor Forum 2014, November 2014